Friday, May 17, 2013

Alleged Racism

For those of you who are on Facebook and have any friends who tend to share political photos, you probably know that a picture has been circulating recently of Queen Elizabeth and President Obama, both out in the rain and under umbrellas. The difference between the two sides of the picture is Queen Elizabeth holding her own umbrella, and a Marine holding Obama's, and there is text on the image saying something along the lines of "Even the Queen can hold her own umbrella."

The Liberals are jumping on this and crying "Racism!" because apparently President George Bush had the same favor done for him by a Marine. I have only one response to this allegation:

I don't give a rat's ass about skin color. President Bush also should have been enough of a man to hold his own umbrella. That is not the duty of a US Marine.

But it goes beyond this incident. There are those who have been accusing racism of any who opposed Obama from the first day he announced candidacy. It wasn't racism then, and it isn't racism now.

- Sidenote: I'm not saying there isn't *anyone* who is racist, as I think it's common knowledge that there are racist individuals still in our country.

It really bothers me that people who know me, people who are my family, call people who are like me "racist" merely because we disagree with the President. If you'd like to continue reading, I will share a few reasons why I did not vote for the man who won the election.


Abortion

I refuse, with every fiber of my being, to support abortion. Many on the left view anti-abortion views as anti-women (another example of being accused of something which we are not), and that is not true in the least bit. In my opinion, abortion is taking the life of a child, and should not be done except under the most extreme circumstances. It's not the woman's body in question, it is the body of her child, and it is being destroyed. We are not misogynistic for opposing that, and President Obama supports it, thus a valid reason for not voting for him.

Gun Control

Why do you believe the Second Amendment was added to our constitution? To protect hunting rights?
If that's a yes, you are wrong. Some will also say that the Second Amendment only applies to the militia. Again, you are wrong. The text says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It does not say "the right of the people in the militia." However, even if it *did* say that, the court case U.S. vs. Miller (1939) stated in its ruling "[t]he significance attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

In short, the Second Amendment is in place to protect the right of the individual to keep and bear arms, even those which are fully automatic (inferred from "of the kind in common use"). President Obama supports gun control laws, and as such I did not vote for him.


Obamacare

While I am not aware of everything in the President's massive healthcare bill, I am aware of two very important things:

1. People who cannot afford healthcare are being taxed harshly, and may be in fact unable to afford that tax. I'm not sure how much the tax is, but I've heard in the past that it's somewhere around $5,000 per year of being uninsured. You want to be mad at someone for making the poor poorer? Be mad at our President.

2. A company which employs someone for more than 30 hours per week must pay for health insurance for that individual. As a result of this, I saw many of my working friends' hours cut down to 28 per week maximum, and I am certain that it did not only affect my friends. It probably affected people who desperately needed all hours they could get at their job. You want to be mad at someone for enabling corporations to pay their employees less? Be mad at President Obama.



There are many more reasons for which I did not vote for the man and do not support him, but not a single one of them is that he's black. If you call me, or those like me, racist, then from now on I will respond only with the following:



Also, as this blog post was not to start any political debates but to address allegations of racism, if you start a political debate from this I will only respond with:



If you agree with what I have said in this post, then I encourage you to share it with everyone you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment