Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beliefs

"Mawwidge. Mawwidge is what bwings us togethuh today."
Well, not exactly, I suppose. It's really a bit more broad than that.
Lately, the topic of gay/lesbian/bi couples has been constantly brought to my attention, whether at school or on Facebook. I have been called a bigot. I have been called intolerant. Someone very close to me even said they hated people like me (but not me). My mother has been having the same problem, at least on Facebook, and posted something on her "wall" about it. She is tired of it.
"Tired of gettting my heart broken by people whom I love and respect but who don't respect me or my right to obey my God. Tired of the mindset that I must relinquish my right to worship freely in my own way, even while I respect the rights of others to disagree. Tired of being lumped with radicals who would deny jobs and housing on the basis of sexual orientation, just because I will not redefine marriage against the wishes of my God. Tired of those who would call themselves my friends using my comments or my wall as a springboard for venting opinions with which they know I do not agree. Tired of being called intolerant by those who do not tolerate my religious rights."
I'm going to address a few parts of this from my perspective, one part at a time. This entry will be about how I view being gay or lesbian.
First of all, I would like to talk about "being lumped with the radicals." I am not one of those people who would refuse to give somebody housing or a job because of their sexual orientation. I have some good friends who are bi or gay, and an uncle who has a male significant other. I have no hatred towards people who choose that lifestyle. I believe their actions are wrong, but I can not bring myself to hate somebody who has done me no harm. I simply disagree completely with that kind of life. I'm a firm believer in the "opposites attract" principle. I would also like to talk about redefining marriage against the Wishes of God. In Leviticus 28, the Bible clearly outlines a bunch of sexual sins, such as incest, homosexuality, and having intercourse with animals. Now, I know that incest and having sex with animals have nothing to do with what I'm talking about, but I needed some examples other than the relevant one. Leviticus 18:22 says " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman. That is detestable.' " Leviticus 18 ends with " 'Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the aliens living among you must not do any of these detestable things, for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you. Everyone who does any of these things-such persons must be cut off from their people. Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the LORD your God.' "
If you do not believe me, here is a URL with the entire chapter of Lev. 18, from the NIV Bible.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus%2018&version=NIV
As a Christian, I must therefore protest gay and lesbian rights, but by that same token, I must not harbor any ill will towards those people.
Now, one last thing from what my mother has said. I also am "tired of being called intolerant by those who do not tolerate my religious rights." The same people who are crying for Christians to be tolerant would deny us the right, if they could, to have a Bible club in school, pray in public, read a Bible on the city bus, etc. And yet we're the ones called hypocrites every time we make a simple mistake.
My friend Cameron has also posted something on Facebook about this topic recently. He was asking Christians for grace to the homosexual community. I agree with this 100%. I pray that what God has said in Leviticus 18 would not come true. But I also pray that gays and lesbians would recognize that what they are doing is wrong and repent. My dislike for this kind of thing is not directed at the people, but their actions. Heck, I have issues with some actions that I have taken throughout my life. My point is, i don't hate myself because of my actions, and I definitely don't hate people for the choices they have made. My point is, I disagree with homosexuality because that is my duty as a believer in Christ. To fight the sins of this world, not the world.

1 comment:

  1. David, you have expressed yourself very well. Glad to see posting again.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete